Wednesday, September 14, 2005

DNA Hat!


As Keanu says, whoa. It's taken me a month to do my scarf and I'm already done w/ the DNA hat?!

What...what...happened? Okay, worsted vs. sport yarn. uhmm. big difference. Didn't do the seed stitch nor the mini-cables and only enough repeats that it wraps around my very large head. I ended up making the hat even bigger so that I would have a continual DNA loop. It's really too bad that this project didn't start off being a hat, otherwise I would have done a provisional cast-on and would have had a beautiful seamless hat. Well, that didn't happen. It's a little wonky in the back. So, don't stare at the back of my head, okay?

As usual, I had to do some tinking after I tried on the hat. After 2 inches of decreasing, I realized that the hat was sitting on the top of my head like a big yarmulka. I wanted the hat to cover part of my ears (especially since that was the point of this hat). So, ripped and tinked all the way back to straight knitting. As I was reknitting the hat top region, I realized that I managed to decrease one section one too many times. Since only one section was off (and I figured this out when the sections were down to 4X8 sections), I decided that this hat wasn't worth another tink and finished it off. So what if I'm 5'2" and tall folks can stare at the spiral pattern on top of my head and realize one spiral is off. That's okay, it's hand made.

specifics:
Hat inspiration from Knitty Coronet hat
DNA cable from Two Sheep (see sidebar)
start date: 9/10/2005
finish date 9/13/2005
yarn: a little less than 1 skein Woolease (hey, the yarn was supposed to be a present for a 5 yr old)
color: cranberry
Picked up 96 stitches off the cable
Knit til I felt like decreasing
Decrease 1 round, knit 1 round for awhile, then every row decrease

I quite like it. Even z's dad wants one, but requested no RED! Ahh, you gotta love those Cal grads!



No comments: