Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Dora the Explorer and Tempting


Last night, got some comp Dora tix at the Paramount. We've never done a live show based on a cartoon before...first, big giant long line as we came up - with lots and lots of small children ages 2-6? The line for Dora shirts, and other carp was equally long.

This is a live show w/ actors in costume. They were very nice tickets. Balcony front row. But a little loud. z loved it but we could tell it was a little overwhelming w/the sounds and lights and such.

Back to the silly actors in costume...I can just imagine the actor's pick up line in a bar.

"Hey, Baby, I'm in the 'theater'. I play the nongender neutered Boots the monkey." Or his fellow actor: "I'm Issa the Iguana, wanna turn my wheel?" (okay, for the wheel reference, you really needed to have seen the show)

Anywhoo, so, instead of working on Tempting...did I mention I casted on for Tempting at SnB? I decided from extensive reading of KALs, Knitty boards, and crafters.org that the sweater, in the wrong hands (or body) can end up making a person look dumpy. Gee, I don't want no stinking dumpy looking sweater that costs an arm and a leg. So, I did the unthinkable (gasp), I decided to use Wool-ease (in chocolate brown). I figured that I would make this sweater for $6.28 (w/o ribbon) and if I didn't like it, well, it's not a huge loss.

I put aside z's dad's sweater, and am finished! Will post pics next time. I made a medium, and in hind site, should have made a medium small. The folks weren't kidding when they said it stretches. The only thing I want to add is that I'm really glad that I decreased in the yoke (following Knitty board instructions). The other thing is that you really have to keep trying it on, even w/ the hassle of putting 1/2 of the stitches on waste yarn.

Specs:
pattern: Knitty Winter Tempting in medium
yarn: Lions brand wool-ease brown
amount: 3 skeins (made a bit longer and have approx.10 yds left of last skein)
needle size: 7 got gauge (I'm finding that 7's are what I have to use for worsted weight yarn)
start time: Aug 29 at SnB
finish time: Aug 31 at home

No comments: