Saturday, September 29, 2007

TKGA on TGIF w/ MIL taking BART

G and I planned on attending 'The Knitting Show' a bit ago. I can never remember the name...knitting...crochet...something...something. Anyway, the confusion is that TKGA and CGOA do a knitting and crochet show together and they really like acronyms (apparently).

It's much much more smaller intimate than Stitches. I even risked not using a stroller for A. She was ergo'ed most of the time.

Even tho' we live a couple of miles away, we parked the car at the BART station and took public transportation there. Why? well, we had issues parking around there the last time we went and I didn't want to deal with the hassle. It's Friday with the Farmer's Market, Chinatown...yeah...we went public transport.

We got there and decided on doing a quick once through before lunch. Well, the first stall we came to, I made my one and only purchase for...yes...a cone of yarn. It was only $12. And it'll be nice as a shawl or a lap blanket doily thing...

And yes, you read correctly, after all that, that's all that I got (yay me!) I came really close picking up a ball of lace weight at Yarn Place, but as I didn't have a project for it, couldn't and didn't buy it.

We watched the fashion show, and that was pretty neat. There's a ostrich boa jacket that used yarn that I had so, I might make that (sans boa).

There was a lady there with a lovely Frosted Flowers shawl (Gathering Lace). That has moved up in my to do queue. Her's was lovely. The Lacy knitters group was there, I might have to join the guild.

Pictures? Well, like I said, I only managed to get one yarn, and it's not very exciting, so maybe I'll take a picture of it when I make something. How's that?

Oh, we had lunch at Caffe 817 and had a lovely latte in a big bowl (along w/ sandwich). And I picked up some apples from Farmer's Market.

It was a lovely day and many thanks go to MIL for a fabulous day! And A? She slept through a bunch of it.

3 comments:

Pam the Yarn Goddess said...

TKGA stands for the Knitting Guild Association. CGOA stand for the Crochet Guild of America. They're different entities but collaborate together on this show.

While there is a market (and yes, it's considerably smaller than Stitches - it's not meant to compete with them), the focus is on education. The list of classes is extensive and much easier to get into than at Stitches. I think they're also less expensive. The list of teachers is no less impressive than the list at Stitches. I took classes from Nancie Wiseman (and failed miserably - see my blog for details).

You can spend some serious dough at the market. I got away with dropping only two bills, but I could have dropped a lot more on some larger gadgets. I like it - the vendors are mostly local (California - although there are some from out of state), everyone is friendly, and it's much easier to navigate around. Being a local, you know that there are a lot of places to eat around the hotel, and seeing the architecture on the buildings is a joy for me, at least.

So that's it in a nutshell. If you get the chance and you like to take classes, you should try it next year. Being a member saves you some money. Since you can BART it (I can too, but chose to have Hubster drive me so I didn't have to hassle lugging a bunch of packages around), it's a good day trip for you.

Soo said...

I'm impressed you made it out with only one purchase. You are an inspiration to all of us! :)

fleegle said...

Wish I could have gone with you! Alas, nobody holds these things in the South. A good reason to move!