Tuesday, January 30, 2007

H2O Bottle cozy II

I made another cozy. This time, I sorta kept track of the pattern.
1)Start with 8 stitches. Every other round increase in this series [k1, inc1, repeat to end of round...k round...k2, inc 1etc....k round...etc.] until bottom circle measures 7 inches. Stop increasing and knit in round (60 stitches) until 13 inches. knit bumper and bind off. I added a pocket for this cozy (eh hem, for my gym card) and the strap is 40 inches of not i-cord (5 stitches stockinette).

I had to 'experiment' (ripped it about 6 times, but who's counting?!) as I knitted because the first several times, there was massive pooling of colours, and that just won't do. I had to rip and reknit, trying to get that striped effect. I ended up just keeping track of the colours and making sure of the colour changes.

It ends up that for my loosey knitting style and US10 needles, I was able to knit the yarn such that it appears striped.

When I felted this, I started to worry because it was too large!. I had to do additional hand felting in the kitchen sink until it was the correct size. The edge I'm still not too happy about, I suppose I can try to spot felt this area, but then that may just be too much of a hassle.

Specifics:
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool in Harvest (less than 1 skein)
needles: 10dpn and US10 circs for magic loop
time: a couple of days?

Things to do differently:
1)Probably not put a lip on the cozy.
2)Figure out a way to change the pocket. Maybe do it in one of the solids.
3)Just make it a tad smaller so I don't have to over-full it.
4)Try to find a knitted swatch of the yarn before I make a whole cozy (altho' this is growing on me, I'm not that keen on the orangy bits).

1 comment:

Stefaneener said...

I like it a lot!