Wednesday, March 22, 2006

See Saw See Saw

Here's a post I meant to upload before I went to the hospital the first time...

I finally frogged my first real attempt at socks because I think socks were too loose and I just plain didn't like them. But I wanted to use the yarn to make a pair of toe up socks on one circular needle, so I wanted to split my yarn into two even skiens. How do I do this without a scale? Well, if you were me, you'd get creative with your 3 year old's toy.

z got this last year and it's a toy where you balance the animals on the two sides of the see saw. (And yes, it's more difficult than you think--but z can do it). It's an exercise in symmetry (which may not be what a then-two-year-old thinks of). Anyway, he got this toy, took off all the animals and just played with the base, saying "see saw see saw see saw see saw". (and yes, it was a little annoying, but also pretty cute)


Anyway, as I was trying to figure out the best way for me to determine approximately how much yarn was in each skein, I thought I'd use his toy as a balance. Yes. I realize that since the two skeins do not have the exact same shape, this is truly an approximate. But it's good enough for me.

No comments: