Thursday, March 11, 2010

Eyeballs!

I have a goofy daughter. We call her Creature...well...because she is.

I love her dearly. She's super funny. Her most recent 'word of choice' is yep "Eyeballs". For some strange reason, the utterance of that word results in reducing a gaggle of 3-4 year olds to fits of giggles.

I don't get it. But here's an example. She goes to dance class, and part of the warm-up routine is that they sit and pretend to build a pizza. Things like rolling out the dough, putting cheese on, spreading sauce, putting on toppings, etc. This way, the kids get a little stretched out and limber as they pretend to do these things. Anyway, the instructor asks each child what they want on their pizza...

Child One: cheese!
Child Two: pepperoni!
Child Three: cupcake! (hey, I get it)

Creature: Eyeballs!

Which then sends all the little girls into fits of laughter and a whole bunch of rolling around on the ground. Then, all the other girls around the circle want eyeballs too...(yep)...yes, that's my child.

So, anywhoo... yes. knitting. I saw the Polka Dot Alien Hat pattern and I just knew I needed to make it for the Creature. In Purple, of course.

I looked at the pattern, and decided I can do this. Just your normal hat using Thick and Bulky. Cast on 56 stitches and knit a normal hat.

Then came the eyeballs. Well. It said to knit I-cords and then break yarn and then knit the eyeball part (snooze...I lost interest at that point and decided I can do it myself).

Anyway, my hack is to knit them 2 at a time so that if they're wrong, at least they're both equally wrong. Knit 2 inches of I-cord, then increased in each stitch to go from 4 to 8 stitches. A row of knit, then knit1, inc1...kn2, inc1...til I tested the eyeball (aka pingpong ball) to fit. Cast off 3 stitches and knit back and forth, reconnected the round and decreased.

Sewed the eyeballs on, and ta da! Eyeball hat!


No comments: